Here’s the twitter page for my theatre

Here’s the twitter page for my theatre company, @SquallandFrenzy http://ow.ly/A8IlV

We make theatre of ritual, ecstasy, madness and complicity (Brighton based)

10487170_268982819978828_6647920535062244053_n

Advertisements

Super-cool embroidery technique – A La Game Of Thrones

So I recently produced the first production with my new theatre company…Yay! And really want to share with the general interweb an awesome embroidery technique that I used for one of the costumes. It’s ultra time consuming but also ultra-fun, and I’m planning to one day make a whole piece using it – maybe a leather jacket even!

I’m a HUGE Game of Thrones fan, and I got the technique from the website of Michele Carragher, who, for those of you who don’t know, is the supremely talented woman behind the embroidery on the Game of Thrones TV show costumes.

Do you remember Dany’s dress for a lot of Season 3? This blue number: 3A - DAENERYS STAGE ONE - GAME OF THRONES EMBROIDERY BY MICHELE CARRAGHER

Well, this dress (and most of Dany’s subsequent dresses) have a beautiful Dragonscale embroidery technique worked into their shoulders. Just take a look at the close up

download

Notice the scaly textured blue bits? That’s Dragonscale. And Michelle gives a wonderful guide on her website on how to master the technique.

Well, I wanted to use this technique from the second I saw it. It’s so detailed and beautiful, yet really tough and powerful. And, see, my play had this character…A ballsy, fiercely protective mother who ends up murdering her husband. And I just knew that she needed some dragonscale on her costume.

I bought a cheap black blazer from ebay, took off the hideous gold stud beads on its shoulders, added shoulder pads for added essence of Dynasty…

WP_20140407_021

And added my dragonscale!

10014373_227662654110845_622591711367483049_o

Voila! Sorry for bad picture quality BTW, I’ll try and do before/after/process shots now I’m officially a blogger!

My dragonscale looks different from Dany’s, partly because it’s nowhere near as neat! But also, I used a very shiny, tough fabric (almost plasticy), and decided not to go with the final step Michelle recommends, of pressing the dragonscale flat, as I wanted the shoulder pads to look as Fierce as possible!

Anyway, that’s my first experiment with dragonscale. Now to work my way up to that leather jacket…